Indianapolis Temple

Indianapolis Temple

Angel Food

7/24/2009 10:29:00 AM Edit This 4 Comments »
A co-worker told me about a non-profit organization that runs a food program called Angel Food. It's an organization that serves families and individuals who just want to save money on buying food for their families. You order once a month by a designated time, and then pick up your food at your nearest location. Ours happens to be a church in Powell. On standard box of Angel Food is nutritionally balanced and can feed a family of 4 for a week. There are also fruit and meat expansion boxes that you can also purchase. The price of these boxes are about half the price of the same food at the grocery store and, best of all, it's not damaged goods or expired food. It's perfectly good food from companies that have agreed to partner with this non-profit.

At first I was a little hesitant to try out the program. Reed and I work hard to provide for our families and I didn't like the idea of possibly taking away from other people in need. But after visiting their website, reading about the program, and talking to my co-worker, I decided it was worth a try. The program doesn't have any limitations or qualifications you have to meet in order to participate. It's just for anybody who is on a budget and wants to save money.

We've been really impressed so far. The people are so nice when we go to pick up our food. You don't feel judged at all. The food is great and definitely a good price. We've been able to save around $100 off our grocery budget per month! Angel Food also helps us to use up everything we've bought before going to the store. We have our Angel Food in the middle of the month and I refuse to go grocery shopping until at least 2 weeks have passed. It forces us to be ingenious and go without things that we normally would hop over to the store to purchase. It also, *sigh*, forces me to cook.

Visit www.angelfoodministries.com to learn more!

4 comments:

Suki Lotti said...

Ah, but alas. The closest location to me is south of Oakland. I might have actually tried them as their menus didn't seem all that bad.

Nic and Abbey said...

When I was doing social work, this was one of my favorite referrals! I love Angel Food Ministries!

I'd never thought about ordering for us, though....good idea!!

Valerie said...

Awww... too bad, Suki.

Abbey, I would definitely recommend it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Val! I followed your link from facebook and had to comment on this. I actually heard about AFM about a year ago, but just never took the plunge. This post has made me think about it again, so I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a church near the new house that participates.

:-)

You have a beautiful family!