Indianapolis Temple

Indianapolis Temple

Smashed Finger

5/05/2013 07:08:00 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
On Thursday afternoon Vivi was excited that the weather was warm enough to play outside in the water.  So excited that she smashed her finger in our sliding glass door in her exuberance.  It was a piercing scream that I heard from the front of the house and it did not stop for several minutes.  I could tell that it was going to be at least a very bad smash.  After a while she calmed down and was able to play.  Then she woke up at 11:30pm just screaming with pain.  I think part of it was that she was in pain and the other part was she was very tired and wasn't quite sure what to do with her body.  She refused to take Tylenol, even spitting it out.  After 45 minutes of her crying (and waking up her sisters.  Thank goodness Auntie Lindey was around to help them go back to bed) she finally calmed down enough to take some Tylenol.  She still woke up several times in the night wimpering.  The next morning wasn't that much better.  I was beginning to wonder if she had broken her finger.  After posting for opinions on Facebook I was about to take her to the doctor when Reed assured me that it wasn't broken.  He has had many a smashed finger in his line of work and he said they were pretty excrutiating.  So I decided to wait a few more hours to see how her finger looked and how she felt.  Top that off with both of her sisters throwing up.  I gave up and took a sick day from work.  If I didn't know any better I would have thought that all 3 girls were in cahoots to keep me home because by lunchtime all of them were fine.  Vivi's finger looks horrible but she can move it around and for the most part it doesn't bother her.  She will definitely lose her nail and we've been keeping Melagel and a bandaid on it.  I just keep telling her that Auntie Jamie and Lara can both sympathize with smashed fingers :)

I am grateful for a place of employment which allows me to take sick days to be with my kids.  I am grateful for Auntie Lindey who was able to help with the other girls while I took care of Vivi (Reed later told me that he vaguely remembers waking up because of the screaming but decided he wasn't going to be of much help.  Probably right :)  He's pretty grumpy when he's been sleeping.).  I am grateful for Reed who allayed my fears.  I am grateful that Vivi's finger is only bruised and not broken.

0 comments: